Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I got to hold one of the quads today!!!

One of the hardest parts of our journey so far is having these four tiny, beautiful little babies and not getting to hold or snuggle with any of them right away! I've been waiting for the day when one of the nurses would tell me that it would be OK to hold someone and today was finally the day. I went to the hospital for my two week check up and went to the nursery after that. When I got there, Claire's nurse said, "well today is the day!" Yahoo! She wrapped Claire up in a blanket and put an adorable little hat on her head and handed her to me. I couldn't believe I could finally hold her! She seemed even smaller than she does in her isolette! I know I'm partial and all, but she is absolutely adorable! She had her eyes wide open and was looking all around. I talked to her for awhile and sang my best rendition of "Jesus Loves Me" a few times. She had her IV feeding of breastmilk while I held her(she's up to 7ml!) and after awhile, she fell asleep. She could only tolerate the room temperature for about 1/2 before I had to put her back in her bed, but what a glorious 1/2 hr it was! It was so wonderful to finally hold one of the babies and I thanked God for every minute. I'll be even happier when I get a chance to hold all four at once!!!

Elizabeth is going to be having surgery tomorrow to repair her PDA. As you may remember from before, this is the hole in the heart that causes a murmur. Each of the quads was born with this condition and we're told that it is common in preemies. The surgeons will put a clip over the open duct to permanently close it. She will have general anesthesia in order to have the surgery so we're praying that the surgery goes quickly and is successful. Elizabeth should be able to breathe more freely after this surgery has been done and will also be able to increase the amount of breastmilk she receives at each feeding.

Well...enough for tonight. Time to hit the hay! Please continue to keep all four babies in your prayers and ask that God would bless each of them with good health! We also pray daily for the amazing doctors and nurses who care for them. We are so thankful for these incredibly talented medical professionals.

Good night everyone...
Carrie, John, Luke, Elizabeth, Claire, John and Kate

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

God continues to show what a great God He is! I am so excited for you and happy that Claire got to feel her mom's love. We've got a bunch of kids at VBS praying for you all! Love, Laura

Jen Custer said...

How wonderful... yea for you and Claire to finally get to feel one another. I have tears in my eyes remembering those precious first moments with a new baby. I am so happy for you!! Continuing to pray for all of you and a special prayer for Elizabeth as she undergoes surgery. God is good and greatly to be praised!!

Andria said...

What a beautiful post. I will pray that Elizabeth's surgery goes well and that your family continues to be blessed. You've got a "blogworld" thinking about you!

Amy said...

I know exactly how you felt getting to hold your little one for the first time. I have twin boys who were born at 29 weeks and I loved the time I got to hold them while they were in the NCIU. My thoughts are with your family as Elizabeth goes for her surgery. My boys too had this done and it really made a world of difference when it came to their breathing and then onto their development. God bless and good luck.

Anonymous said...

I will contine to pray for you and your babies. Post pictures as soon as you are able! I know I am not the only one dying to see these precious miracles.
Ellie - Washington, DC

Jenny said...

such an amazing feeling isn't it! don't worry you won't break them...they are SO small but not for long trust me!:) i loved holding mine and i miss that. we are praying for you and the babies to continue to heal and for them to grow. how are you feeling by the way!?

Tina said...

I bet it was the best feeling in the world holding Claire for the very first time. I just can't imagine how tiny they all are.

Can't wait to hear that Elizabeth's surgery is sucessful and she continues to get bigger and stronger.

Thinking of you all.

B said...

I forgot how beautifully you sing. I'm sure Claire felt peaceful and content in your arms and to hear your loving voice.
I am praying for you all, thinking of you every day and following the news closely!