Friday, July 18, 2008

Kate's surgery was cancelled.... turned out to be the big day that never happened. We got to the hospital only to find out that Kate had her blood gas taken this morning and her numbers were not very good. They took them again and they were a little better, but not by much. We met with the surgeon who showed us chest x-rays that they took of our little princess this morning. The x-rays were somewhat hazy and cloudy which is an indication that fluid is present in the lungs. This also explains some of the weight gain that Kate has had. We were excited thinking that she is growing at a great rate on the artificial nutrition, but as it turns out, some of the weight gain is probably due to fluid retention. The surgeon said that although they probably could go ahead and do the surgery, he didn't feel nearly as comfortable proceeding as he did the day before. He often describes our little Kate as a "delicate flower" (which I love :) and said that the surgery at this point is still considered to be elective as the remnant issue is not serious or life threatening so he felt better waiting until next week to possibly attempt the surgery again. They are going to give her Lasix, which is a diuretic that will help her pee out some of the fluid that she is retaining and they also are going to give her Albuterol, which will help increase the air flow in her lungs.

John and I were somewhat disappointed in the news that surgery wouldn't take place. We had emotionally prepared ourselves that today would be the day and hopefully after the surgery, Kate would turn the corner and be on the road to better breathing and breastmilk! Unfortunately, it was not to be today. On the other hand, we felt relief that the surgeon (who is about my age and also has four young children)wasn't willing to proceed when there was any possibility of additional problem other than the usual risks for a preemie child this small.

We did have the chance to see Claire, Elizabeth and John today. The girls are doing beautifully (John and I got to hold them today while they were fed their breastmilk through their feeding tubes - yahoo!) Elizabeth is 2 lbs, 5 1/2 oz. and Claire is 2 lbs., 3 oz. They both had their eyes open the whole time we were holding them and I words don't do justice to how beautiful they are! John had a tough day yesterday experiencing a few desaturation episodes (his monitors "alarm" because he has too little oxygen in the bloodstream) and the doctors were concerned by some of the symptoms he was showing that he may have an infection in his bloodstream or endotracheal tube. They sent some of his secretion samples and bloodwork to the lab to be tested. So far, the tests have been negative but they are treating him with antibiotics just to be safe. Our John is so absolutely adorable. He is weighing 2 lbs, 1 oz these days. I call him "Bird" because he is so long and skinny and just reminds me of a tiny little baby bird every time I see him. I can't wait to hold him and snuggle with him!!!

So, keep those prayers coming for the health of all four babies and and we'll see what the next week brings for Kate and the possibility of rescheduling her surgery.

Take care everyone and God bless!
Carrie, John, Luke, Elizabeth, Claire, John and Kate


Tubre Quads said...

Prayers heading your way from Louisiana. Hopefully Kate's PDA will close this week and she won't need the surgery after all. So glad you got to hold the girls and I hope you get to hold John and Kate more very soon.


Elizabeth said...

We are praying for you guys!

Anonymous said...

You guys are very much in our prayers. Hopefully your chance to hold and to snuggle with little John will come soon..
God bless and take care of all of you...

Anonymous said...

We will continue to pray for your family. What a blessing to hold you precious babies!!!They have been touched by the hands of God, the hands of the skilled medical staff and now the proud parents who have hearts overflowing with love. Wishing you continued blessings and good health.
Kim Minahan