Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Happy 7 week birthday babies!!!

Hi everyone....can you believe it!? The babies are 7 weeks old today! In some ways, it seems like they were just born yesterday and in other ways, it seems like they've been around for years. The past 7 weeks have been so hectic and filled with the full range of emotions but I'd do it all over again in the heartbeat. Just seeing their faces makes my heart melt and I can't help but kiss them from head to toe. GOD IS GOOD!!!

Thought I'd post a quick blog and update everyone on how the babies are doing. I'll start with Miss Kate as she is the one who has had the most excitement over the past week or two!

Kate - I'm happy to say that Kate is doing well following her surgery. She spent a few days following the surgery on the oscillating ventilator and she's now back on the conventional ventillator. Kate really hates this machine and she desatures a decent amount more when she's on it, but the machine represents WORK for Kate so she's not as keen about it. She is still a little swollen from the constant flow of fluids that she gets through her artificial nutrition, medications, etc. but the diuretics are helping her to pee most of the fluid off that she has retained. As of this Friday, she will finally be done with the Phenobarbital she has been on for the past 2 weeks due to possible seizure episode she has a few weekends back. She has had no additional episodes so I think the neurologists feel that what she experienced was either not a seizure or possibly just a one time thing. The really big news for Kate is that they are going to attempt feeding her sometime this week, possibly even tomorrow! They are going to start with extremely small amounts of breastmilk - only a 1/2 cc in the beginning. Increases in the feeding amount will be very small but if she tolerates it well, they will move her up slowly. The breastmilk will do wonders for Kate's overall health, including her lungs so I'm anxious to pump her full of milk so that she gets bigger and stronger with every feeding. I'm just so thankful to God that she's here.

Elizabeth - or as Susan, one of the nurses in the NICU, calls her "Queen Elizabeth"! I just love that! Elizabeth is big and plump and happy :) She weighs 3 lbs., 11 oz. and is doing quite well. Like Kate and everyone other preemie baby, she does desaturate a little more that the other two, but she is still getting a relatively small amount of oxygen in through her tiny nasal canula. I've decided to try and nurse a different baby every time I visit. I'm not going to continue breastfeeding once the babies come home (although I'm going to continue pumping milk for them) but the doctor suggested that nursing them occasionally would not only be a chance for them to bond with me, become familiar with my smell and allow them to share my body warmth, it would also increase my milk supply. I started today by nursing Elizabeth for a short bit and after a few eye opening looks from her saying "what the heck is this?!?!?", she actually did quite well for the first time out. We'll keep working on it occasionally over the next few weeks. So, my little 'Lizabeth is doing well!

Claire - Claire is definitely the most alert of the four babies at this point. It seems like every time I visit, her eyes are wide open and she's squirming around making noise. Her cry actually sounds like a duck! She is quite the demanding little lady also as every three hours, she's like clockwork squealing for her feeding! Claire is now 3 lbs, 6 oz. and is only on a 1/2 liter of oxygen which is awesome! They are hoping to try to wean her completely off of the oxygen over the next few days so we'll see how she does. She is definitely getting stronger and I'll try to nurse her next so that we can share a little snuggle time with each other :)

John - my "little bird" is just SO adorable! John and I snuggled for awhile today and he just makes your heart melt. He is so calm and laid back - very much like his Daddy! John weighs 3 lbs, 1 oz. as of today. He still seems so much smaller than the girls, even though he's just 5 oz. less than Claire. He is doing SOOOOO well on his nasal cannula and is quietly becoming onE strong little boy. I was asking the nurses today about why he appears to be so much smaller and they said that boys, in general, develop more slowly than girls. Also, as you all recall, John's sac ruptured 4 days before the babies were born so he probably lost some nutrition from that episode as well. All in all though, my little man is lookin' good. He'll be bypassin' those girls before you know it! :)

Thanks to each of you for keeping our four little treasures in your prayers! We ask you to keep one of our NICU friends, Joey, in your prayers also. We've gotten to know Joey over the past 7 weeks while her son was in the NICU with Kate. Joey's little boy, Wyatt (who was only 5 days older than our quads) passed away on Saturday after struggling with some serious genetic issues and an infection that occurred after he had surgery. Joey is a very brave 20 year old single Mom who despite the odds and the suggestions of her doctors, decided to give little Wyatt a chance at life. His time on this earth may have been short, but the joy that he brought to his Mom in those 8 short weeks is something she will treasure forever, I'm sure. We ask that God would bless Joey with the peace that passes all understanding now that her little angel is safe in the loving arms of our heavenly Father.

4 comments:

Tubre Quads said...

Your babies are doing great. Good job mom! I can't believe how big they are getting. Your story brings back so many memories for me. Keep up the great work.

Jac

Andria said...

Beautiful! Sending prayers up for your family and that of little Wyatt.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news about all your kiddles...
So, so sad to hear about little Wyatt though. My heart hurts for his mom and I will be thinking of her and praying for her a lot...
~Gina

Anonymous said...

Such great and wonderful news. I will continue to pray for all of you..and also for Wyatts family...I can't believe that they are 7 weeks old already.
God bless all of you....
Rita