Monday, January 26, 2009

Roll Baby Roll!!!

Last Wednesday night, I was busy in the kitchen cooking dinner. The babies were in various places around the living room. I had just put Elizabeth on her belly on a blanket on the floor when I went into the kitchen to stir a pot on the stove. I came back into the living room about 2 minutes later and Elizabeth was laying on her back. Hmmmmm.....I asked my Mom and John, "did one of you put Lizzie on her back?" The both said they hadn't flipped her. So I went over and put her back on her belly again and as soon as I did, my little rolly polly rolled right over on her back! YIPPEE!!! I couldn't believe it! John ran to get the video camera while I put her on her tummy again. We taped for the next 10 minutes and wouldn't you know it - that little stinker wouldn't roll over again! So, no video of the big event, but we're thrilled none the less! Not to be outdone, John was laying on his belly in his crib the next day after waking up for a nap when he rolled himself right over from his belly to his back and he's done it again 3 more times. Not wanting to be left out of the action, Claire was laying on her belly on the blanket this morning and she was so upset, that she rolled herself right over! Yep - that's three babies who have rolled over at least once in the last week! I don't think little Kate is all that far behind so we'll let you know when she makes #4!

Claire is starting to pick things up with her hands and of course, everything goes in the mouth!







She really is quite skilled at picking up her rattles, blankets, and especially the soft little blonde haired doll that Grandma bought her for Christmas. Claire also has a real love of her hands and is smiling so much these days. As you can see, she loves to sit on Daddy's lap and suck away while watching a good TV show. When she got weighed the other day by Marcia (our favorite visiting nurse :), Claire tipped the scales at 14 lbs. Unbelieveable!


Kate is working on eating with a new bottle these days. We went through a period here recently where we were having a hard time getting her to eat consistently. Her rhythm was very off and her eating skills seemed to be very disorganized. She would only eat a few ounces and then she would stop and refused to take the bottle back. She's also struggled with bouts of large spit ups on and off since early November. She takes Prevacid and Zantac for the GERD she has which has proven to be a good solution. We consulted with a speech pathologist who specializes in feeding disorders in both children and adults who suggested a few things to try as well as a new bottle and nipple which have worked much better. Despite all of these issues my little Kate is up to 11 lbs, 8 oz. Although she's an inch or two shorter than the others, she is growing by leaps and bounds in so many other ways. She's VERY alert, playful and as of the other day, she loves to giggle when Daddy tickles her under the neck. You just can't help but smile when you look at her! Check out the eyelashes on this little beauty!





Little John is now officially addicted to his thumb.





His thumb has become his new best buddy. When we lay him down in his crib at night to go to sleep, he may fuss a little at first but as soon as we put his thumb in his mouth for him, he is one happy dude! I check on the babies before I go to bed at night and most nights, I'll walk into their room and hear this loud sucking sound. It's always John sucking away, happy as a clam. I've never been a fan of pacifiers - that of course was prior to have quadruplets! Interestingly enough, the babies still like their hands better than an artifical soothers. I guess I'm happy about this, although there are times when I'd give everything I own for them to take a pacifier and be happy! Although my little Kate has by far had the most difficult road since birth, in many ways I think John has made the most remarkable changes physically. Take a look at John in these pictures. This first pictures was taken in the NICU when he was just 11 days old. The second picture is our sweet little boy today at 13 lbs, 2 oz:






Isn't that just amazing? God is good.

Last but certainly not least is Elizabeth. What a sweet girl she is - smiling and giggling all day long. As I said, Elizabeth was the first one to roll over and I believe will be the first one to sit up on her own also. We have a developmentalist that comes to the house once a week to work with the children and I on meeting developmental goals and Elizabeth routinely sets the pace that the others follow. She has amazing head and neck control and yesterday, she did us her hands to tripod herself while sitting upright for a few seconds. Lizzie has started to slow down on eating - John actually weighs more than she does these days - but she's still growing and doing quite well at 12 lbs, 15 oz. Here's a picture of her and her "bro" hanging out naked on some blankets on the floor (poor John always gets stuck laying on the pink blankets or using pink bibs! That's what happens when you're the odd man out with three sisters in a set of quadruplets!)






Another big milestone that we've reached is that each of the babies have slept through the night in the past week. Kate has always been a masterful sleeper - going 6-8 hours easily before waking up to eat. John and Elizabeth in the past week have each gone 8-10 hours before waking up. Claire has always been kind of the "weak link" in the sleep area, getting up every 4-6 hours. I'm thrilled to report that last night, Claire slept for 9 hours before waking up to eat! Yahoo! The babies all loved (and really NEEDED) to be swaddled at first. They needed that sense of closeness that swaddling provides. We no longer swaddle them now, but we do wrap their Swaddle Me blankets around the trunks of their boddies and under their arms to keep them warm at night. I love those things! So....Mommy is one happy camper now that we're getting the sleep thing going!!!


Thanks for checking in with us...I'm going to post the pictures of our photo session with Natalie in the next few days so check back to get a peak.

6 comments:

Mojo said...

How exciting!!! I am just sitting here smiling. And thinking how amazing your children are. And you too!!
Missy

Courtney said...

It's so nice to see how well everyone is doing. I love to see how big everyone is getting! Can't wait to see the pictures from their first "official" photo shoot! I'll keep checking back!
Love,
Courtney

Anonymous said...

Carrie -

I am so thrilled to hear that everyone is doing so well!! I love the pictures. Little Kate looks so much like her Mommy. It just absolutely blows my mind how quickly they've grown and how much they have changed. Your family has truly been blessed. I can't wait to meet each of them in person.

Michelle H.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like they are doing great. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Kim L

Susan Graham said...

I definitely would have bought it the first time around! It's just beautiful and you can do so many things with it for the different seasons. It looks just beautiful as you have it right now...love this site.

rustic living room furniture said...

Oh my goodness! That is just SOO sweet!! Something like that would retail for a few hundred dollars and you did it Fabulously for oh so less!!! Thanks for the great pics of everything you did. :> Wow! You guys did an amazing job!It's just perfect!

Susan Graham