Monday, February 16, 2009

Little Kate checks out of Childrens :)

We're happy to report that after 5 days in Children's Hospital, Kate was released yesterday. She's made a lot of improvement over the past 5 days and although she still has some of the wheezing and crackling sounds in the lungs, she is feeling and looking a lot better. John and I were so anxious for her to be released for so many reasons. Although being there was an absolute necessity and the staff at Childrens is top notch, staying there for a few days is a big risk to a baby in Kate's condition. Kate had a roommate in the first room she was placed in. Her roomie was a 2 month old who had RSV. YES - YOU READ THIS CORRECTLY :) My little peanut with lungs that look like withered branches on a dead tree was rooming with a little baby already confirmed to have RSV. Nuts, right? Especially since Kate had been swabbed for RSV in the E/R and the culture came back negatively. Yahoo, we thought - we dodged the RSV bullet! Yeah, until we got to her room :( There are no partitions or anything separating the two bed spaces - just a flimsy little curtain. The situation was obviously not good, but the hospital was so packed, this was the only room they could offer us after spending 12 hours in the emergency room. After 2 days, they were able to move Kate to a private room and we thanked God for the peace and quiet and improved conditions. John and I took turns staying there with Kate while the other stayed home with the babies. We were obviously also concerned that we could bring some type of virus home with us from the hospital and infect the others with it. So far, everyone seems to be doing OK. We got some sniffles and runny noses here and there but nothing too worrisome so far. We're washing hands like crazy and praying that we all stay healthy :) We have Kate isolated back in our bedroom for the next week. She'll stay there until we can be more sure that she is no longer contagious and has recovered from her virus. Little Kate is back on oxygen again after being off of it full time for over 30 days. You can tell that she absolutely HATES having the cannula back in her nose again, but hopefully it won't be for too long. She's added another medication to her arsenal to help her lungs recover more quickly - so Albuterol is now added to our list. Other than that, she seems to be slowly returning to herself and is even giggling and making silly noises with her mouth. Thank God our little Kate is home again. We sure did miss her and we thank God for putting her on the path to recovery :)

Thanks to each of your for your continued prayers, words of encouragement and support. We love all of you, our extended family, both near and far!

And by the way...we've been meaning to say this for weeks now, but ....

For those of you who don't know, we're life long Pittsburghers and can't imagine any other place we'd rather live. Football is in your blood if you're from here and as you can imagine, it's been nuts here since the Super Bowl. So as we close for tonight, we'll say so long from SixBurgh!!!! :)


Helyn said...


Anonymous said...

Yay, Katie!! What great, great news! Can't wait to see her & all the peanuts on Wednesday. (Loved the Steeler-fans-gone-wild pic ;-))
Love, Sue

Andria said...

Adorable picture! I'm happy to see that Kate is home and recovering well. That RSV seems nasty this year!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that your clan is altogether again. The Steelers picture is priceless.

Still have you all in my prayers!